Chicken with sweet potatoes
A simple, quick and tasty dinner. Sweet potatoes are a ‘low GI’ carbohydrate, meaning they release their energy more slowly than our traditional Irish potatoes and they’re loaded with potassium! Serve with a steamed green vegetable such as green beans or broccoli to complete the meal
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion (red or white), peeled and chopped into small dice
3 medium sweet potatoes (about 350g) peeled & cut into bite sized chunks (about 1cm)
450g chicken breast fillets (or mini fillets) cut into bite sized chunks (about 2cm)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
½tsp chilli powder (optional)
1tsp each of balsamic vinegar, honey and Worcester (Lea & Perrin’s) sauce (OR 3 tsp ready-made barbecue sauce)
½ chicken stock cube dissolved in 125ml boiling water
1 tablespoon tomato puree
2 scallions, finely sliced (or chopped chives)
Sea salt and ground black pepper to season
- Prepare all the vegetables ready for cooking and cut up the chicken
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan or wok
- Add onions, chicken, sweet potato, garlic and chilli powder, stirring until all is well mixed and chicken changes colour.
- Add balsamic vinegar, honey and Worcester (Lea & Perrin’s) sauce (OR 3 tsp ready-made barbecue sauce), stock and tomato puree.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently – add a little water if necessary.
- When the liquid has evaporated and you have checked the chicken is cooked and sweet potato tender, season and serve with a sprinkle of scallions and green vegetables.