Courgetti Cannellini Bolognese
‘Courgetti’ is a great substitute for pasta, quick and easy to make with a spiralizer. The basic tomato sauce recipe can be made in bulk and frozen and adapted for different meals using different vegetable / herb / spice combinations.
1 small-medium onion, chopped
1½ tbsp. olive oil
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pushed through a garlic press
1tsp dried oregano
1tbsp tomato puree
1 tin chopped tomatoes
Pinch xylitol sweetener
1 large or 2 small courgettes
1 (400g) tin Cannellini beans, rinsed with cold water and drained
1-2 peppers (red, green or yellow), cut into small dice
1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 200ml water
- Fry onion in 1tbsp olive oil over gentle heat for about 3 minutes. Add peppers and cook for a couple of minutes then add garlic and oregano, cook for a further minute.
- Add tomatoes, tomato puree and xylitol, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Sauce is now ready to use. If you want a smooth sauce, ensure vegetables are really soft and push through a wire sieve or liquidize in a goblet liquidizer.
- Add stock and cannellini beans, simmer gently for 10 minutes
- Spiralise courgettes using a spiralizer or spiral slicer (a potato peeler can be used to make ‘ribbon noodles’ by ‘peeling’ slices lengthwise along the courgette if you don’t have a spiralizer)
- Heat the remaining ½ tbsp. olive oil and sauté the ‘courgetti’ for a couple of minutes until well heated. Serve the bean & tomato sauce on a bed of courgetti noodles – filling and healthy!