Banana Nut Muffins
100g wholemeal flour
50g plain flour
75g porridge oats
50g mixed seeds (eg pumpkin, sesame, linseed (flaxseed), sunflower, chia)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
4 very ripe bananas (about 550g before peeling)
125ml buttermilk (or mix milk with 1tbsp lemon juice, or use half milk half natural yoghurt)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 heaped tablespoons crunchy peanut butter (about 200g) or just use nuts – any kind
- Pre-heat fan oven to 180o Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Roughly chop bananas and put into food processor. Add buttermilk, egg and vanilla and process until smooth.
- Add peanut butter and process briefly until just mixed.
- Remove the lid and add the dry ingredients all at once, then ‘pulse’ by allowing the food processor to work just for a second at a time until ingredients come together, do not overmix or beat.
- Use a spoon or spatula to check it is mixed through.
- Fill muffin cups to the top. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm on top.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.